Creating Visually Stunning Display Ads
Published: May 3, 2021
Author: Phoebe Martell-Crawford
Between baby announcements, news updates, and advertisements, the digital space is becoming increasingly competitive. On April 13, 2021, 3Qers Becca Debono, Director of Creative Strategy, and Julia Thiel, Executive Creative Director, presented at the SMX Create conference on ‘Creating Visually Stunning Display Ads.’
If you were able to attend, then you’re probably busy designing beautiful, full-funnel ads! If not – here’s what you missed:
First things first – Becca dove into the the importance of designing ads for every stage of the funnel:
- Top of funnel ads mean brand introduction. Clear branding and concise copy are key. Don’t cram too many elements into the image space; let the image do the work.
- Middle of the funnel ads educate and entice the audience. To accomplish this, shift from a brand-centric approach to messaging that resonates with your audience.
- This leads us to the bottom of the funnel. Once you’ve reached your audience and you’re ready to sell, encourage them to buy with strong direct response ads and a clear call to action.
Navigating the “Sea of Sameness” in the digital landscape is tricky, yet crucial to promote your brand. Julia walked us through how to stand out:
- A good brand toolkit provides the foundation for the elements used in your ads. At minimum your toolkit should include your logo, brand colors, brand fonts, mark only logo, and your iconography.
- Your brand voice is equally important. Seemingly simple combinations of words are carefully curated to stick in your mind long after you see an ad. Just because you can write lengthy ad copy, doesn’t mean you should. “Just Do It,” “Got Milk,” and “Diamonds are Forever” are all examples of taglines that generate brand loyalty and trust.
- Custom assets can be a huge advantage for ads. If budget allows, hire a photographer to capture your brand’s soul. If not, customize stock photos with your brand colors and logo to make it yours.
We eagerly await the return of in-person events so 3Qers can share even more of their expertise. In the meantime, you can check out a comprehensive overview of our Creative Services offerings here.